Monday, February 5, 2018

The Relative Advantage of The Basic Suite

The Basic Suite is a combination of three different programs: word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations (Roblyer, 2016). One software that has these three programs and has been used for years at home, at work, and in schools is Microsoft Office. Microsoft has Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as their specific software for the programs listed above. These three software tools are what I grew up using in school. It wasn’t until I got to college that I instead started shifting to another version of these tools known as Google Apps.

Before being introduced to Google Apps, I found that the use of the Microsoft software was a great tool to incorporate technology into the classroom. However, I found two concerns when using it. One of those was that I had to make sure I saved my work every few minutes so I wouldn’t lose it. The other concern was making sure I save it on a USB device to take to and from school so I could work on it at either place. Within that second concern, I also I had to make sure I saved it correctly so it could work on any version of the Microsoft software.

Luckily by college though, I didn’t have to worry about this as much as Google Apps was becoming even more popular. Google Apps tools that represented The Basic Suite are Docs, Sheets, and Slides. Even though Microsoft allowed you to use all three programs in schools, Google Apps has taken it to a whole different level. The concerns I mentioned above with Microsoft disappear when it comes to the Google Apps. All of the Google Apps automatically save your work and allow you to access it from any device as long as you’re signed in to your account. These apps also add other capabilities within them that make it even a greater tool to use in the classroom, the biggest of those being collaboration. Within Docs, Sheets, and Slides, you can collaborate on one assignment at the same time from different devices as long as all members are given editing rights.

The capabilities Google Apps offers makes it the perfect tool to use in the classroom. Students can collaborate to write a paper on Docs, they could make a presentation for a project on Slides, or could even represent data within Sheets. Another advantage is that students can share their work with the teacher by simply hitting the “share” button. They can choose to give the teacher editing access or just viewing access as well.

Not only are these tools great tools to use for collaboration reasons, they also give students more room for creativity. The students I teach today have grown up around technology and are very good at using it. Giving them the ability to take advantage of that to benefit their learning allows them to take their learning to a whole new level because they are able to use tools they’re confident with.

Now that I’ve discussed the overall advantages of The Basic Suite of Google Apps, I want to specifically address advantages they have in my math classroom. I’ve personally used Google Docs within my Geometry classes in a variety of ways. One way that my students have used it was to make a quadrilateral scrapbook. Students had to list the properties of each quadrilateral we talked about, give a picture of the quadrilateral with the properties labeled on it, and provide a real-world example. Student creativity was encouraged by encouraging them to find real-world examples not online, but in actual real life and to take a selfie with it to add to their project. Students completed this project on a Doc but could have just as easily used Slides. Another way I’ve had my students use Google Docs is by the use of a hyperdoc where students read and/or watched videos on new topics, filled in some notes, and then tried practice through Quizizz and Google Forms. In both of these ways, I found students really enjoying the ability to use technology to show their understanding. With both of these assignments, students were able to share it with me online and I even allowed them to share it with me before the due date if they wanted some feedback on it. I was able to highlight and provide comments on the side of areas I thought they should go back and look at. Not only was this a way students could get feedback, but it was a way I could give it to them from anywhere. I could access their work at school or at home, but no matter where I was, they got the feedback right when I added it. There was no waiting process for when they came to my class again to get that feedback. I find this to be a huge advantage not only for the student but the teacher as well.

As you can see above, there are great advantages to the use of The Basic Suite in the classroom. I would encourage all teachers to try and incorporate them in one way or another. Give the students the ability to collaborate and be creative using tools they’re already so comfortable with. Not only will they learn, but they may even surprise you along the way with the outcome they give you from it.

References
Roblyer, M. D. (2016). Integrating Educational Technology into Teaching (7th ed.). Massachusetts: Pearson.

2 comments:

  1. Joy,

    You pointed out several advantages to the "Basic Suite" tools from Google that I never even thought of listing. The main one that stuck out to me was the fact that Google saves everything you do to the cloud automatically. I cannot tell you how many times I have needed to be saved by this. I work at a rural school where we have random power outages that seem to happen right after I've typed something up to use in class. Microsoft Word does back things up to an extent, but oftentimes I lose things if the power flickers. Since Google is cloud-based, all of the information can be saved without a second thought from the user. I have enjoyed that feature working with my second grade students because it's one less thing I have to worry about teaching them. For me, saving a document is easy because I've always had to do it. But to walk 25 eight-year-olds through the process is more work than it's worth.
    I also love how you ended your blog with a challenge. That's something that I enjoy doing when I teach. Ending with a challenge gives the learner something to go and do, then report on. So, I will accept your invitation to incorporate the Basic Suite into my classroom routine more often.

    -Avery Schwendiman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen,

    You point out a few very interesting things in your post. I like that you talk about the transition from Microsoft Office to Google Apps. The transition, for the better, to Google Apps is very helpful, especially in access. The ease of sharing products both between students and teachers is also another positive for the use of Google Apps that you hit on.

    I also am very intrigued by your uses of the Google Apps in your classroom. At my school we will be going 1:1 next year and I am very interested to implement technology in my classroom to enhance student learning and engagement.

    Great reflection on the Basic Suite!

    ReplyDelete

Final Thoughts: Edtech 541

Part One: Reflection When I look back on this course, I realize how much it helped me implement technology into lessons that I already us...